Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from back of the scalp called the ‘donor site’ to a bald or balding part of the scalp known as the ‘recipient site’. It is primarily used to treat male pattern baldness.
Hair transplantation is a hair restoration procedure performed on men and on women who have significant hair loss, thinning hair, or bald spots where hair no longer grows. In men, hair loss and baldness are most commonly due to genetic factors and hormone DHT. Male pattern baldness, in which the hairline gradually recedes and scalp visibility increases exposing bald areas. Men may also experience a gradual thinning of hair at the crown, or very top of the skull. For women, hair loss is more commonly due to hormonal changes and is more likely to be a thinning of hair from the entire head. Transplants can also be performed to replace hair lost due to burns, injury, or diseases of the scalp. To know more details on Hair Transplant check Icassp2003
What is the procedure?
1. It is a surgical process in which the hair follicle is put on to areas of partial and complete hair loss.
2. The hair is taken from the back of the head and added on to areas of baldness.
3. It works well in treating baldness that is caused by factors that are hereditary.
4. It is done with almost no use of sedation and it has 2 techniques
A. Strip harvesting
B. Follicular unit extraction
Advantages of hair transplantation
1. Since it is a medically treated technique there is no need of any other form of hair growth. The hair implanted will continue its growth.
2. Since you yourself are the donor it is a big advantage.
3. It gets done in a single go.
4. Usually no money or very little money is considered as consultation fee, so keeping in mind the fact that it’s not expensive is a big relief.
5. Hair transplantation is very effective than any other artificial treatment.
6. In case one is sensitive to losing consciousness the process can be managed by partial anesthesia.
7. Another big advantage is that hair transplantation provides uniformity in hair distribution. The technique works on optimization for overall distribution of follicles and it remains intact.
Disadvantages of hair transplantation
1. This is a physiological disadvantage, one should always remember that a sizeable portion of the dermis is extracted or implantation purposes. The scalp gives protection to the follicle from any kind of trauma and so the follicles tend to become more susceptible to cases where a good portion is removed.
2. In case of dense packing then it leads to be more expensive and consumes plenty of time along with more number of sessions.
3. Cases involving thick packing can lead to scarring and injuries.
4. In case of thick packing, can lead to injuries and scarring.
5. Because of exposure to many medicines and injury a graft planted will not survive and it results in wastage of money and time.
Cost factors of hair transplantation
1. Hair transplantation becomes a costly affair with the number of grafts made.
2. Factors like hair loss stage, donor hair availability and levels of expectation determine the cost.
3. Price needs to be paid for the repair surgery too.
4. Recently the trend is that many clinics offer free cost of advice for consultation of hair transplantation.
5. Though cost factors are involved, its longevity and restoration’s look can be worth every penny spent.